The art director will work with the editorial team to develop and implement the magazine’s editorial vision, creating a cohesive look and style for each issue and adhering to the standards set by the publisher. The art director is responsible for overseeing the design production of the magazine and communicating the editorial vision. As a member of the editorial team, the art director will participate in editorial planning and launch meetings.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Oversee the graphic design and layout of At Home in Arkansas (11 issues per year) and Weddings in Arkansas (2 issues per year), as well as special projects as they arise
- Organize art for each story; where original photography or illustrations are required, communicate with freelancers to schedule shoots and manage art deadlines
- Work with the editors on shot lists, angles, and cover options for photo shoots
- As needed, attend photo shoots and oversee floral and prop styling
- Create concept and book location, models, hair and makeup for bi-annual fashion shoots
- Lay out ads and editorial pages in thumbnails prior to each production cycle
- Prepare files for pre-press and PDF pages for press upload; ensure the magazine is uploaded on time and troubleshoot any press/upload issues
- Receive, inspect, and approve printed proofs
- Update and redesign, as needed, materials such as media kit, sales sheets, and other marketing materials
- Assist in the editorial planning, conception, and production of special sections and publications
Online responsibilities include:
- Upload PDF files to Issuu and add links to create digital edition for each issue
- Resize and watermark images, and upload new content to website each month
- Work with social media manager to develop social content as needed
As a member of the At Home in Arkansas team, the art director is expected to assist editors with scouting potential homes, attend At Home-sponsored events as a representative of the magazine, establish and maintain design industry contacts, and maintain the visual integrity of the magazine. Some out of town travel is required.
Graphic design experience in a creative, fast-paced media environment (such as at a magazine or agency).
- Detailed knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop
- Extreme attention to detail and excellent time management
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work with a team
- Ability to prioritize, work under pressure, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to interact responsibly and professionally with co-workers, creative teams, and outside contributors
- Ability to proactively anticipate problems and collaborate with coworkers on solutions
- A genuine interest and curiosity in design trends, the home industry, and the creative pulse of Arkansas
Compensation: This is a full-time position. Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical benefits and paid time off.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to publisher Kelly Fraiser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We’re looking to grow our sales team with the addition of a full-time account manager! Are you entrepreneurial in spirit? Do you enjoy building relationships and meeting new people? You might be a fit.
- Maintaining existing advertising accounts
- Prospecting new clients both over the phone and in person
- Working seamlessly with a team, from launching each new issue to helping procure artwork and ad approval, when necessary
- Must have experience in outside sales; media sales and experience with the interior design industry are preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree
Compensation: This position offers base pay plus commission. Benefits include insurance (health, life, dental, disability, and vision) as well as paid time off.
No phone calls, please. To apply, email your resume and cover letter to publisher Kelly Fraiser at email@example.com.