The history of the Moore-Hornor house closely mirrors that of Helena, where it was built in 1859. Robert Caswell Moore, one of the few men who returned to Helena after the Civil War, purchased the home, which overlooks Graveyard Hill, the site of the Battle of Helena on July 4, 1863. Moore’s daughter married John Sidney Hornor, who founded West Helena and built a streetcar line between the two cities, and the couple raised their family in the home. A beautiful example of asymmetrical Greek Revival and Italianate architecture, the Moore-Hornor house was damaged by fire in 1994. Now owned by the Delta Cultural Center and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it serves as a field lab for the Arkansas Institute for Historic Building Preservation Trades, which was created by the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program of the Department of Arkansas Heritage and Phillips Community College to meet the state’s need for artisans who are comprehensively trained in traditional preservation trades to maintain, rehabilitate and restore historic buildings.